Awards and Honours
His Highness Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan has received numerous citations and decorations from the UAE and many other countries including Oman, Bahrain, Qatar, Kuwait, Jordan, Morocco, Malaysia, Pakistan, USA, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, China, South Korea, Montenegro and Kosovo, as well as the United Nations.
These include :
- Monarch Medal for Officers, awarded by HRH the late King Hassan II of Morocco, June 1986.
- Order of Merit, awarded by General Norman Schwarzkopf, Commander of US troops and Coalition Forces, in appreciation of his Highness’ role in the Kuwait Liberation War, April 1991.
- Medal of Outstanding Service, awarded by Chief of Staff of the UAE Armed Forces, May 1992.
- Military Order of Merit of Outstanding Class, awarded by HRH the late King Hassan II of Morocco, April 1994.
- Kuwait Liberation Medal of Excellent Class, awarded by Ibrahim Abdulla Al Mansour, Kuwait’s Ambassador to the UAE, in appreciation of his role and efforts in the Kuwait Liberation War, September 1994.
- Medal of Grand Yellow Sparkling Flag, awarded by HE Liang Cheng, Prime Minister of the People’s Republic of China, September 1994.
- Kuwait Medal of Excellent Class, awarded by the late Amir of Kuwait Sheikh Jaber Al Ahmad Al Sabah, June 1995.
- Renaissance Badge of Honour of Excellent Class, awarded by HRM the late King Hussain bin Talal of Jordan, December 1996.
- Renaissance Badge of Honour of Excellent Class, awarded by HRM King Abdullah II bin Hussein of Jordan, June 1999.
- Oman Order of Military Merit of Second Class, awarded by HRH Sultan Qaboos bin Said of Oman, February 2000.
- Legion of Merit of Great Officer, awarded by Jacques Chirac, French President, June 2002
- Badge of Honour of Independence, awarded by HH Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani, Emir of Qatar, January 2005.
- United Nations Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) Golden Badge of Honour, presented by Dr Jack Diouf, Director General of the FAO, April 2007.
- United Nations Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) Badge of Honour for Food Security and an international recognition certificate from the Environmental Practices Certification Institute, presented by Dr Jack Diouf, Director General of the FAO, September 2008.
- Legion of Merit of Jerusalem, awarded by Mahmoud Abbas, Palestinian President, October 2008.
- Federal Order of Merit, awarded by Dr Frank Walter Steinmeier, German Foreign Minister, awarded October 2008.
- Legion of Merit of Excellent Class, awarded by HRM King Juan Carlos of Spain, May 2008.
- Global Villages of Children Founder’s Golden Medal, March 2009.
- Grand Commander of the Order of the Defender of the Realm with the title of Tun, conferred by HM King Al Wathiqu Billah Tuanku Mizan Zainal Abidin of Malaysia on 17 June 2011 in recognition of His Highness’ efforts in taking Malaysia-UAE relations of friendship and cooperation to new heights.
- Gunghwa Order, presented to crown princes and heads of government, conferred by South Korean President Lee Myung-bak on 21 November 2012.
- France’s National Order of Merit, conferred by French President Francois Hollande on 15 January 2013 in recognition of the growing cooperation ties between the UAE and France.
- Order of the Montenegrin Great Star, conferred by President Filip Vujanovic of Montenegro on 12 December 2013, in appreciation of his huge contribution to the development of the relations between the UAE and Montenegro. The order is conferred on those who contribute to development of ties of cooperation and friendship between Montenegro and other countries.
- Order of Independence, Kosovo’s highest honour to international figures, presented by President of the Republic of Kosovo, Mrs. Atifete Jahjaga, on 21 April 2014. Kosovo’s Order of Independence recognises U.A.E.’s contribution to peace-keeping in Kosovo, its social and economic aid to the Balkan country as well as its recognition of independent Kosovo, as well as the efforts of His Highness the Crown Prince to back and follow up the peace-keeping process in Kosovo.
- Order of the Mohammedi of first class, conferred by King Mohammed VI of Morocco on 17 March 2015, in recognition of H.H.’s contributions and efforts to support the UAE-Moroccan ties and his keenness to solidify them in the service of mutual interests of the two countries and people.